Applications invited for Assistant Library Manager
Serving the Town of Taber and the surrounding municipal district, Taber Public Library’s (TPL) mission is to meet the informational, educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community. TPL is here to satisfy curiosity, help express creativity, celebrate diversity and stimulate imagination.
Position: TPL is looking for an innovative individual passionate about library programs and services. Under supervision of the Library Manager, assist with the day-to-day operations of the library including: interfacing with patrons at the circulation desk; program development, delivery, and reporting; collection development and maintenance; administration; and marketing of the library’s collections, programs and services.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Use interest in lifelong learning and initiative to regularly pursue professional development opportunities, including keeping up to date on library-based applications, and is strongly encouraged to pursue formal courses in library work.
- Use communication skills to receive general direction from the Library Manager.
- Uses leadership, communication and interpersonal skills to assist the Library Manager in the orientation of new employees/volunteers and helps identify training needs within the library.
- Use management and leadership skills to assume responsibility for the library in the Library Manager’s absence.
- Use decision-making skills to make operation-based decisions that are informed by library policies, and legislation.
- Use attention to detail, time management and organizational skills to perform circulation duties and service desk such as: use integrated library system (ILS) software to create and update patron accounts and to check in and out library material; collect fines and fees; maintain statistics; completing circulation reports, shelving material, and shelf reading.
- Use leadership and supervisory skills to supervise summer staff in the development, preparation, presentation and reporting of the summer reading program.
- Use leadership and supervisory skills to supervise library volunteers.
- Use leadership and supervisory skills to ensure patrons are having positive experiences throughout the library.
- Use communication and time management skills to attend meetings as required.
- Use attention to detail to carry out payroll duties as required.
- Use attention to detail to carry out accounting duties as required.
- Use communication and interpersonal skills to work with the Library Manager and Program Coordinator in engaging in marketing, public relations and the promotion of the library at local events.
- Use communication, interpersonal and customer service skills to handle complaints and problems with patrons
- Use creativity, time management and interpersonal skills and interest in lifelong learning to work with the Program Coordinator to develop, present and report on a wide variety of programs for patrons of all ages that align with the library’s current Plan of Service.
- Use creativity, communication, interpersonal and time management skills to lead engaging and relevant library tours aimed towards all ages and social groups.
- Use creativity communication, interpersonal and time management skills to work with the Library Manager and Program Coordinator in off-site promotion of the library.
- Use attention to detail and decision making skills to assist the Library Manager with collection maintenance and development through: processing donations; sharing resources within our regional system; making minor repairs to library materials; acquisition and deselection recommendations.
- Use attention to detail, communication skills and decision-making skills to help maintain a safe environment for both patrons and staff.
- Use communication and interpersonal skills to maintain a working relationship with the Library Board.
- Other duties as required by the Library Manager.
Qualifications and Skills
- Diploma or undergraduate degree in library information technology program, or a related field; library technician diploma preferred
- Library experience with progressive responsibility.
- Leadership experience.
- Working knowledge of current provincial and federal library legislation, and understands the role of library bylaws and policies.
- Interest in lifelong learning, professional development and career-related learning is essential.
- Strong computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of tools, Microsoft Outlook, library-based smart device applications, social media, and other Web 2.0 applications.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong management, leadership and supervisory skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills; must be able to work in both a group setting and independently.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of general accounting is an asset.
- Previous library programming experience is an asset.
- Able to work split shifts, evenings and Saturdays.
- Valid driver’s license.
Hours of Work: this is a full time, permanent position working 37.5 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends.
Salary: $20.00 - $23.00 per hour (approximately $39 000.00 - $44 850.00) includes a comprehensive benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application process: all those interested may send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin April 2, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.