Applications Invited for Temporary Part-Time Library Assistant
Serving the Town of Taber and the surrounding municipal district, Taber Public Library’s (TPL) mission is to meet the informational, educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community. TPL is here to help the public get to know their community, satisfy curiosity, stimulate imagination and provide a comfortable space for the public to visit.
Position: This position encompasses a wide variety of library duties including: interfaces with patrons in providing public and technical library services; and performs related duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent is required; Library Operations Assistant (LOA) certificate or post-secondary education a definite asset.
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, active listening and communication skills; retail experience an asset.
- Critical thinking and research skills.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Interest in lifelong learning, professional development and career-related learning.
- Working knowledge of how to operate a variety of office equipment including the Microsoft Office suite of programs, Microsoft Outlook, telephones, scanners, photocopiers, fax machines and printers.
- Knowledge in smart devices and in the use of web-based services and library-based applications.
- Able to work evenings and Saturdays.
- Lifting library material.
- Reaching to place material on shelves.
- Pushing and pulling book drop bins and library carts.
- Frequent standing, walking and bending.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Use interest in lifelong learning and initiative to regularly pursue professional development opportunities, including keeping up to date on library-based applications, and is strongly encouraged to pursue formal courses in library work.
- Use customer service skills to interface with patrons in providing public and technical library services.
- Use communication and customer service skills to answer telephones, transfer calls and provide information to callers.
- Use communication and customer service skills to contact patrons with information about library materials.
- Use attention to detail to: perform circulation and service desk duties; use integrated library system (ILS) software to create and update patron accounts and to check in and out library material; collect fines and fees; maintain statistics.
- Use customer service, active listening, critical thinking and research skills to provide reference services using standard reference sources, such as the library’s online patron access catalogue (OPAC), online databases, applications, and quality Internet resources.
- Use customer service, active listening and research skills to assist patrons with reader’s advisory requests and Interlibrary Loan requests using standard reader’s advisory resources, such as the library’s OPAC, Novelist, Goodreads, and TAL Online.
- Use initiative and experience with technology to trouble-shoot patrons’ questions about computers, the Internet, smart devices and library-based apps.
- Use creativity and initiative to assist Program Coordinator in developing, delivering, and reporting on a wide variety of regularly occurring and one-off programming for people of all ages that aligns with the library’s current Plan of Service.
- Use attention to detail and organizational skills to perform circulation duties such as completing circulation reports, shelving material, and shelf reading.
- Use attention to detail, creativity and experience with technology to make minor repairs to library materials.
- Other duties as assigned by Library Manager.
Employment Terms: this is a part time (27 hours/week) term appointment and will terminate upon return of the incumbent from maternity leave, approximately July 31, 2020. Shifts include evenings, weekends, and split shifts.
Wage: starting at $16.00 - $17.00 per hour, includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Application process: all those interested may send an application package, consisting of a cover letter and resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete application packages will not be reviewed. Review of application packages will begin Friday, June 21, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.